EDUCATION & WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT TEAM UPDATE
Hope your week is a super duper successful one!
Our Education and Workforce Team recently met. This team meets once a month at various schools. We only allow Guthrie Chamber Investors on this team. One of our big goals for this team is to match a BIG BUSINESS/ORGANIZATION with a school and then a small business/organization with every classroom.
As we move forward as a Chamber and look to raise the quality life in Guthrie via our Investors by growing our economy - we have to support our schools.
Here are some updates from Dr. Mike Simpson, Guthrie Public Schools Superintendent:
Regarding the current state of the bond:
- Roof at GUES is done
- Roof at Central is almost done
- Roof at Fogarty will be complete @ end of calendar year
- Money for the new school will be received August 2016
Regarding the schools in general
- Smoothest school year start in Dr. Simpson's memory
- Good sports year in the Fall
- Beginning testing time
- ACT scores are up (while state average is down)
- More kids taking the ACT than before
- Elementary: our students are at about 100% of them passing the 3rd grade reading test.
- in spite of 60% free/reduced lunch rate
Our next Education & Workforce Team meeting is December 17th.
ARE YOU A CHAMBER INVESTOR? YOU SHOULD JOIN A TEAM.